08 February 2012

DIY Valentine Decor Week - Day 3: Heart Garland

Day three of my week of DIY Valentine Decor.

The next project I'm sharing is actually the first decoration I created - a simple, vintage-inspired garland made of paper and jute rope. I've seen tons of different beautiful garland ideas all over PInterest. I've been wanting to try so many of them, but never found the occasion to need one. I wanted to create one myself and used my love for vintage/rustic elements to come up with this garland. 


Supplies:
- heart shaped paper punch
- red scrap book paper
- old book
-jute rope
-glue gun

To make this DIY garland, I gathered up some red craft paper and an old-ish book. I bought this heart shaped punch with a coupon from Michaels a few months ago and have yet to use it. I definitely put it to good use for this project.


I got to work and went a little crazy punching tons of hearts from both the book and the scrapbook paper. I made more than I needed, but saved them to use for another Valentine craft.  


To assemble the garland, I grabbed my glue gun and jute rope and got to work. For each heart along the rope I glued the book page heart to the back of the heart made of red card stock. 


Once finished I just needed to find the perfect place to put the garland. I wanted the red in the hearts to stand out so I didn't want to put the garland somehwere that was already busy. The dining room has a pretty neutral palate so my Valentine decor really stands out and looks great in the room. I chose to drape it over my hand painted canvas



Here is a shot of the front and back of each heart.

 

 I love this decoration. It's rustic with the jute rope, but still dainty and romantic with the hearts and book pages. The garland was so easy to make. I'm ready to come up with some other great garland ideas for future holidays.

Coming up tomorrow: Valentine inspired candle holders.

Have you guys been making any Valentine decorations?

2 comments:

  1. absolutely love it,
    how did you get the letters so straight? any walk through tips?

    -claudia
    http://www.homeseasons.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the painting? I cheated and used painters tape as a guideline. I space each line 2 inches a part. I freehand drew the letters, but needed a little help to keep things straight. :)

      Delete