29 December 2011

Trending: Pallets in Home Decor

I'm bringing one of these home from work.


Why?

I'm jumping on the bandwagon with the latest home decor trend that I keep seeing: shipping pallets.

I am seeing these everywhere on Pinterest with so many great, creative ideas.

As a coffee table,


repurposed into a headboard,


build a daybed,


and miscellaneous storage solutions.



This trend is everywhere!

I'm fortunate that my workplace has a warehouse and a warehouse manager who is totally cool with me taking a pallet or two home to work with.

What I plan to use my pallet for is something similar to this in our guest room:


via Pinterest

I like the idea of giving our guests practical storage solutions. Sure, we have a dresser in our guest room, but we hardly expect our guests to unpack their suitcases and use the drawers for one or two nights over. But offering them a place to hang their coat, keys, purse or small bag makes sense. I even like the idea of having some sort of bench or chair below for them to store their overnight bag and shoes.

Of course, we first need to get the walls repainted and a few other things knocked off my guest room to-do list (Post coming soon, I swear. I've been writing the guest room post for over a week now.) before we are ready to install. But I'm eager to get the ball rolling by priming and painting my new pallet.

Any trends your dying to try?

Find more great pallet ideas here, here, here and here.

15 comments:

  1. If you find out where those great hooks come from for the palle hanging system please let us know. I really love this idea. I am thinking about making my draughts closet door two sided like this. She has very limited space and a huge need to be able to hang lots of dress up dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I foudn them at Home Depot. They are meant to be over a cabinet door, but the width is almost identical to that of a pallet board.

      http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202885887/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=hook&storeId=10051

      Delete
    2. It's available in both bronze and brushed nickel. I bought bronze for my pallet.

      Delete
    3. I recognized those hooks right away and I have a lot of them! We use them in the horse industry to hang over a fence to hold a bridle, blanket, etc. You can find them in most of the farm supply catalogs and they are cheap. Try www.sstack.com, Jeffers Equine or Big D Tack.

      Delete
  2. Check an office supply store - I think they make these hook thingys for cubicles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to put the hanging unit in my garage entry way. I'm forever looking for a place to put my purse when I come in the house and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I'd love to see the finished product. :)

      Delete
  4. brilliant blog, and i particularly love this entry... I have to ask, how did you fix the pallet to the wall? (type of screws,...)Is it possible to see the final result? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually haven't attached it to the wall, yet. Been dragging our feet a bit, plus we haven't decided the best way to hang it. But when we do I'll be sure to share!

      Delete
  5. I'm wondering where you can find a single wooden pallet. I've found a couple places selling them, but you usually have to buy at least 5 together. Would love to do the coat hanging pallet, but can't find wooden pallet for sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found my pallets on craigslist for $1 a piece no limit on how many I had to buy and they are in great shape. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  6. Really like the clothes, boots rack (painted white, above) - where do you get the cool hooks to hang things up?? That would also work real well as a pot & pan rack...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognized those hooks right away and I have a lot of them! We use them in the horse industry to hang over a fence to hold a bridle, blanket, etc. You can find them in most of the farm supply catalogs and they are cheap. Try www.sstack.com, Jeffers Equine or Big D Tack.

      Delete
  7. I really appreciate you for all the valuable information that you are providing us through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last pic is genius! I wonder where I can get a pallet!

    ReplyDelete