02 October 2012

Happy Birthday To Me (Sort of...)

Not to throw anyone off with the title of my post, today is not my birthday. My birthday was in August. I turned 28. Eek!
 
The point of this post is to share with you all one of my birthday presents. It might seem crazy to you, but when my parents asked me what I wanted, all I could think of was how badly I wanted a new storm door. The one we've had since we moved in was old, beat up, gross brass, and unless you locked it, could easily be pushed open without even turning the handle. I learned that the hard way when I watched Lucy push the door open while I was putting something in my car. Talk about a heart attack. 
 
I think the front of your home, specifically the front door, can say a lot about you. It's the first thing people see when they come to visit. A few years ago I gave our front door a fresh coat of white paint and replaced the old brass fixtures with a new nickel door handle and lock, and a nickel door knocker with 'DeMaio' engraved on it. We always talked about replacing the storm door, but just never got around to it. I took this past birthday as my opportunity to finally take care of it.
 
Two weeks ago, my birthday present arrived and our new door was installed.
 

 
I'm thrilled with how the door now looks. Even better, the storm door doesn't stand out as much as it used to with the old brass details. Here's a look from a few steps back.

 
Yes I blurred out our address, we do actually have numbers up there. I'm that paranoid mom who thinks everyone wants to come steal her kid. Also, disregard our front siding. It's this awful aluminum. We have that flag post still installed beause I'm afraid of what it will look like if I ever took it down. The metal is damaged pretty badly fron the screws. I'm not really a flag person. Someday we may get around to replacing the siding, but for now I'm pretty pleased with how our new door looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment