01 January 2013

2013



Happy New Year! Hope you all had a happy, safe and healthy holiday and New Year's Eve.
Last night was one of the most low key New Year’s celebrations that we've had in years. My evening wasn’t surrounded by drunk friends, rich foods, fancy dresses and drinking games. Instead, I rang my New Year in with my husband, in our PJs, eating takeout and drinking bubbly.
Some of you have probably noticed that I’ve been a bit MIA on this blog for the past two weeks. The flu, the holidays and the craziness of this time of year caught up with me and I needed to take a step back and reboot. I have to admit I’ve enjoyed these past two weeks without blogging and it made me re-evaluate what I’m doing with this blog and with my personal life in general. I am exhausted. Mentally and physically. I’ve realized that it’s due to the fact that I tend to overwhelm myself, make too many commitments, pile on too many projects, and I never relax.
Don't get me wrong, I’m not done with blogging, I don’t think I could be. I’m making the decision to not let this blog run my life. I still plan to post projects I’m working on and snap shots of room updates and lifestyle topics I want to share. I want to write quality posts about topics that I’m passionate about and I want to do projects that I enjoy and not scramble to write posts because I feel obligated to fill 5 slots every week. I may have a week where I write 5 posts and I may have a week where I write one or even none. I don’t want to make myself feel guilty for wanting to take a breath.
At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if I have 5 followers or 500 followers, I want this blog to be something I’m proud to call mine.
That being said, my New Year’s resolution for 2013 is to better myself. It might sound silly to you all, but it’s what I need to do to keep my sanity.
A few points to myself to achieve my goal:
-          Family, health and happiness come first.
-          Take the time to appreciate the moment right now.
-          Let the house be a mess for another day and take Lucy somewhere new. 
-          No more impulse decisions.
-          No more impulse purchases.
-          Be thorough and organized and finish all projects through to the end.
-      Keep our house a home and not a workshop filled with half-finished crafts.
-          Stop caring what other people think.
-          Cut the laziness. Get up for work on time. Squeeze in that work out. Put away the laundry when it’s folded.
-      Be healthier and bring lunch to work. Stop wasting money.
-          Get real sleep.
-          Do something BIG in 2013.
-          Appreciate my real life and how amazing it really is.  I have the best family and friends in the world and I want us all to make more time for each other.
Now I'm off to spend the rest of my day with my beautiful family.
Happy New Year!

6 comments:

  1. I follow your blog and check it almost daily, but have never commented before. I have a daughter about your daughter's age and you are such an inspiration to me as a mom. I think you resolutions are awesome and I will definitely be borrowing a few. Don't feel obligated or guilty about your blog! Happy New Year!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet words and Happy New Year to you, too!! :) Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Those are some great resolutions. Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! You should never feel ashamed about not blogging every day! Although, your blog is my guilty pleasure and I love "catching up" on it about once a week. I hope you post a photo of Lucy's kitchen. I'm dying to see that project! You are such an inspiration! Enjoy the family this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Jess!! I love your new years resolutions! I hope you and your family are feeling better now! The flu is awful!!

    I agree with you about over committing and trying to always be on top of blogging. At the beginning of blogging I was just posting so friends and family could keep up with our pregnancy and before I knew it my blog started growing and I felt the need to keep up with it daily...it can be addicting! I have tried to step back and evaluate how I want to blog over the next year. I try to schedule my posts on nights Jer works so I am not taking away family time! It def is hard finding a balance though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I feel a million times better not pressuring myself to blog, blog, blog. I do it when I have time and feel inspired. :)

      Delete