10 April 2011

Next Stop: Wall Art

I have loved the look of subway art for quite some time now and even considered incorporating it into the nursery. I was constantly coming across images like these online. Some signs are bought (and very expensive!) and some DIY. 






I decided a few months ago that I wanted to take down the Audrey picture in our living room and replace it with another piece of wall art. The picture was a housewarming gift from my parents three years ago and although I adore the artwork, I have to admit it's a little feminine for Jordan. Plus we are making some other changes in the living room over the next few weeks and need some fresh artwork.

Last week while perusing Marshalls for some nursery goodies, I found this sign in the wall art section.

Excited that I had found something I had been wanting at a place like Marshalls, I snapped a quick picture and sent it to Jordan for his opinion. I was sure to include the price ($50) in the text. More than I would want to spend, but far less than subway signs are retailing for online. 

His response?

"You could make that."

Is that a challenge? That was all I needed. I decided at that moment that I was going to make my own.

It took two evenings of hard work and only $26 (half the price of the Marshalls sign) and we now have our own DIY subway sign. Here is how the wall looked with the Audrey picture:

And here is how it looked after we hung our subway sign this weekend.


I love how clean the wall looks. These aren't actually subway stops. It's the Regional Rail line that runs from DC to Boston - the train we used to take when we would go to Boston for the weekend. I had Jordan pick the stops for the sign.

As I mentioned we have other plans for the living room that include replacing the old berber carpet with hardwood and a bright area rug, removing the bookcase, and replacing the IKEA curtains with a pair of plain white ones so brighten up the space. 

If you want to learn how to make your own subway wall art, I will post a tutorial later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment