07 August 2011

Sugar-Lemon Face Scrub

I don't know if it's some post-partum side effect, but lately my skin has been feeling a bit icky. Since I'm home all day with Lucy I've barely been wearing any makeup, but when I have my face just doesn't look great during or after. Granted it doesn't help that I slept with my makeup on Friday night. Not intentionally. We went out Friday night to the Maroon 5 concert in Camden (Amazing show, by the way. And it doesn't hurt that we had third row seats.) I fell asleep on the couch around 2am, and by the time I got up to bed I was out the second my head hit the pillow. 

I decided tonight that I'm going to go back to an old beauty regimen that I did religiously this time last year. 
A lemon-sugar face scrub.

This little scrub is great and practically free. 
You just need to use two items you most likely already have in your kitchen: sugar and lemons.




I start by washing my face with hot, soapy water. The hot water helps to open up my pores. Then I simply mix the juice of half a lemon with a teaspoon of sugar and use cotton rounds and scrub the mixture all over my face, focusing on spots like my forehead, lips and around my nose. The sugar is great to slough off the dead, dry skin. The lemon juice has beta hydroxy acid to help exfoliate and smooth skin, as well as alpha hydroxy acid to hydrate and unclog pores.

I've read that this mixture can help with sun spots, age spots, freckles, acne and dull skin. I just know that as soon as I wash the mixture off my face, my skin feel amazingly smooth. It feels so good that I actually wait some time before putting on any moisturizer. I'll just use a little Neutrogena cream.


Another item I swear by and use on a daily basis. And yes I use it on my face. Well just under my eyes and on my lips - two of my extra dry trouble spots.

There are other versions of this scrub - some with honey, some with olive oil or coco butter. I just stick with the lemon and sugar because I always have them around the house. 

What skin regimen do you swear by?

No comments:

Post a Comment