20 June 2011

Nursery Window Treatments

My latest nursery project is finding curtains. As you can see in the old picture below I've had blinds in the nursery for quite some time now. I've been going back and forth whether I'm happy with the birch finish as opposed to a white blind finish. But at this point in the game, it may be too late to change my mind. That and Jordan will think I'm crazy for wanting to switch them out now. 

Because some sunlight still peeks out the sides of the blinds, I want to find some curtains to hang to completely block out any light when needed. As you can see in the picture I had a curtain rod already hung from the pre-nursery days when the room was an office. I intended to keep this up and simply use it for the new window treatments. I had trouble finding ones long enough and when I did find cheap IKEA shears (which I wasn't even that crazy about), they took up so much space floor-to-ceiling that the wall looked crowded. So the curtain rod came down and the holes were spackled.

(nursery pre-glider)

I've been searching the internet for a few weeks and I've narrowed the choices down to two window treatments. 
Tadpoles Tulle 63" Curtain Panel from Toys R Us - $15.98

I love how girly these are and yet the white keeps them simple and not too busy. Plus, as I've mentioned before, I love ruffles. Since the window is small, one panel will be plenty to block the sunlight without crowding the wall. I'm just not sure how it will look when I want some sunlight in the room and I have to push the curtain to the side. Should I get a hook for one side, or just slide it over?

The other option is this one from Target:

Sailcloth Tie-up Shade from Target - $18.99

This one is an easy window cover that can be full-length or tied up to let sunlight in. I saw it in person and although I love the look of it, I'm not crazy about the fabric. It's sort of a stiff cotton, not as soft and "pretty" as I was hoping for the nursery. I searched the web for some alternative options at another store, but haven't had much luck.

I love these DIY ones from Cozy.Cottage.Cute
DIY Tie-Up Shade via cozy.cottage.cute 

but I don't have anywhere near the sewing skills to tackle this project. At least not in the 2 and a half weeks I have until her due date.

The DIY was actually inspired by this Pottery Barn version.



I'd buy them in a heartbeat, but I've searched and can't seem to find them anywhere. 

So back to reality. Here are my two options:

(Please excuse my limited photoshop skills, but you get the idea.)

I plan to make my choice soon and purchase this week!


Oh and in case you're wondering, I did order the mirror I mentioned last week. After I ordered it, the email said it would take 1-2 weeks to ship. Here's hoping it arrives before Lucy does!

No comments:

Post a Comment